Saturday, March 07, 2009

Self doubt

I hate it when I start doubting myself... Ok, perhaps sometimes it's good to question your ability, ie knowing your limits, and seeking help/opinion elsewhere...

However, self doubt can't be helped sometimes...

Words people throw at you, or the way that words are said to you start eating at you... And you start to believe what 'crap' these other insignificant creatures tell you...

I doubted my ability to treat my patients who have hyperkalaemia (ie high potassium levels in the blood) by my pharmacist... Who tells me to treat patients, unlike what has been drummed in my head in medical school, and against my 'bible'... Despite me knowing I'm doing the right thing, the fact that this person tells me that I'm doing the wrong thing on a daily basis, I begin to doubt myself!!! I actually started asking my seniors for the simplest of things and advice, which I know the answer to to begin with!!

Then I had a person who told me that I am a tomboy; the way I dress and act... I know I'm not a tomboy... I might not be a girly girl, but I am no tomboy... Again, the fact that more than one person tells you this, you begin to question whether or not you seem to outwardly seem like a tomboy... Ok, I did... Which lead me doing a mini poll, participated for the 'lucky' ones on my msn list =) I am happy to say that no one exactly said that I am an outright tomboy. I had more negatives than I did part postives. So I guess this means that I am not a tomboy.. What is your input in this poll?

Anyhow, I think you have to have some sort of self belief... With a limit to this belief that you have (we don't want to be delusional and grandiose in our abilities!!)

So when you start doubting yourself, start reassessing the situation, and perhaps there isn't really a need to doubt yourself...

xx
Ps: Believe in yourself!!!

2 comments:

Padian said...

Do believe in yourself - people sometimes think that you may appear egoistic, arrogant... but brush that off. If you think you are doing THE right thing, carry on.

Most of the time, especially in this field, if you do something wrong, MORE than one person would VIOLENTLY express their opinion, and often a senior will be involved. Until such thing happens, BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE! :)

Anonymous said...

hugs fets.

so know what u mean!

fiz