Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What doctors do

What does a doctor do? I'm supposed to know the answer to that because I'm wanting to be one of them doctors... But seriously, I don't actually know what they do. (Surely I do, but I don't want to write about that just now. That's boring!)

They treat the patients... That's the textbook answer.. But do they... Or do they just treat the illness/disease and not the patients as a whole? Does it really matter? We're always taught to treat patients as a whole etc etc. And in exams we are marked on several things that we have to say in a 'consultation'... Although that's just b******s because in a real life situation, I've not actually seen a doctor who said ALL them words in ONE consultation.

Are doctors (surgeons, psychs included) just a bunch of egoistical "im better than you" "this is a minor thing, you've wasted my time" "wow, you're sick. now that's very exciting" type of people?

It differs from one doctor to another doesn't it?

Some doctors who are very nice to the patients, yet know nothing much, will be perceived as a very nice good doctor. "Bisai doctor atu. Baik." <-- Do you say that for the right reasons?

Some doctors are a bit more 'abrupt' but gets the job done yet people complain about them. "Doctor atu kurang ajar." <-- again, are you complaining for the right reasons?

Gosh man.. I don't know the right answer to that... I doubt anyone does..

And heck, I'm not taking sides.. I've got my fair share of doctors who I think are totally useless... I'm definitely NOT going to stick to 'my kind' now... I do believe there are doctors out there who shouldn't be!!! And the good doctors out there possibly not getting enough recognition. But that's what I think. You are ofcourse allowed to have your own thoughts ;p

Again, there isn't a real point in this entry... but, I've been 'shadowing' a doctor for a week and he has been REALLY interesting!!! He is EASILY wound up about the whole system here... and it gives me a bit more insight and it entertains me! =) He has said a couple of interesting things (though I doubt he realises just how intriguing I find it)...

He has said:

"The LESS you can do to help a patient, the MORE important you should look sympathetic"
VERY true.. indeed patients either want doctors to give them ubat (possibly not panadol though ;p) or do investigations (blood test <-- even if it won't tell us anything) or poke you (if u got the right point then "Ahh.. doctor knows EXACTLY where it hurts") or be sympathetic... If doctor didn't do anything but instead just advices you, then "Doctor is useless. Doctor knows nothing."

"... that's what we do. We give patients an unnaturally long life."
Interesting don't you think? because if nature had it its way.. most 'patients' would have gone by now.. But because doctors intervene, we are able to keep them alive for longer and hence the phrase "unnaturally long life"

I like this doctor, he gets me thinking... Or rambling... and therefore something for you to read if you were at all interested... ;p

3 comments:

Padian said...

interesting! I like... just on monday, a mum said to me that her communityy shuns her son because he talks differently.

Long time ago, we don't see a lot of these problems, and they do not know how to react...

so yes... we are helping... but it does feel a bit unnatural :) but help we must as that is our pledge!!!

Anonymous said...

Heya beb,

Your blog got Me thinking too..hehe..

Now that I have joined the mass of working doc, I think for self satisfaction that you hav done the best you could for a patient, this need knowlege. At the same time, I think, you need to enpathic to get msg across (this is where Dundee's "communication skills" come in...heheh)

But, I still can't help still thinking sometimes, when a pt presents with sumthing unusual.."wow!cool, you are so interesting"...

FR said...

yes.. it's v interesting.
btw kaka, what do you call them people who help people with the way they talk.. as in what actors use to help them get a hang of their character's accent...? i think we need MORE of them creatures in this world! I surely need them to help ME with my 'speech' problem ;p

KaNon, that's good then.. If I managed to at least get ONE person thinking, then that means I've written something worthwhile. And yes, I suppose we'll never run far away from being THAT type of doctor you mentioned... "you're cool"