I have always thought I spoke differently.. be it malay atau pun english... I can hold a decent normal conversation in both languages, but once you throw in fancy difficult words into the conversation i go.. "HUH?" My vocabulary level in both languages is probably just level 9 or something as low as that...
I am aware that I speak funny.. (compared to all the other people around me) It doesn't normally bother me.. but recently, I think I'm more self conscious about it... Because people are looking at me staring not understanding!!
Possible reasons for not being understood:
Accent : English, Malay (Brunei/Std)
Volume: Loudness
Pitch: High (sakit telinga!) Low (rumble mumble)
Clarity: Do I say it clearly
Intonation: Do I intonate (?) at the right places
and last but not least.. something which has just been brought to my attention by friends (War ;p),
Manja: Do I sound manja? If you answer yes to this.. you are to tell me WHY you think I Sound manja.. and if possible.. do tell me the definition of manja, in your opinion =)
I am aware that I speak funny.. (compared to all the other people around me) It doesn't normally bother me.. but recently, I think I'm more self conscious about it... Because people are looking at me staring not understanding!!
Possible reasons for not being understood:
- I mumble.
- I speak too fast.
- I speak in fragments. Not in sentences.
- I change topics way too quickly without warning.
- I don't open my mouth enough?
- I have a funny accent?
- I pronounce words funny
Accent : English, Malay (Brunei/Std)
Volume: Loudness
Pitch: High (sakit telinga!) Low (rumble mumble)
Clarity: Do I say it clearly
Intonation: Do I intonate (?) at the right places
and last but not least.. something which has just been brought to my attention by friends (War ;p),
Manja: Do I sound manja? If you answer yes to this.. you are to tell me WHY you think I Sound manja.. and if possible.. do tell me the definition of manja, in your opinion =)
18 comments:
Intonasi dan kemanjaan jelas didengar di telinga saya. :P
Hahaha War!!!
I did a TINY WEENY poll... And so far.. it's more like 50/50... Not a girls vs boys split.. but more like a Bruneian Malaysian split..
The Bruneians I asked think i DO sound manja.. but the Malaysians don't... So.. that is why I'm trying to find out what all the other readers think. Heheh =)
Erm, for someone who has both Bruneian and Malaysian blood, where do I fall under? Lol. :P
Accent: Erm, entah ah.
Volume: Average, though you tend to get louder when you want to be heard. (Then again, doesn't everyone?)
Pitch: Average, except when you get excited.
Clarity: Clear!
Intonation: Eeeeeerrrrrr, I dunno. Usually lurus, unless it's a very hard word to pronounce?
Manja: Erm, I've only ever heard you manja a few times and they're when you want something, I think, hehe.
dear fetts! this is very interesting! this is like what i do in class! huhu.
you definitely have a bruneian bilingual accent. which is distinctive from singaporean n msian. (i think). volume biasa. u dont mumble.
i think u speak quite clearly. a bit fast. but bruneians generally tend to speak fast coz when we speak malay macam laju jua, compared to semenanjung msia talk. fast esp when excited. i dont think there's anything wrong with how u speak. i sometimes feel i am not fluent enough when i speak. and i also cannot speak in one language spontaneously. often have to stop and think of the english or malay word. but that's what u call a bilingual fetts!! dont worry to much. afterall, as lingusits say.. the aim of speaking is to communicate. as long as in the end ppl understand what u want to say. doesnt matter innit.
to Dhi and War
I have added some bits to the manja bit.. so if you have got time.. feel free to comment more on that!!
And Dhi.. another person said I sound manja when I want something too! hehe... And described the way I speak as "What do you want" type of tone.. LOL
I knew I had the Bruneian accent!! hehe... Thanks Wan!!
And yeah, I guess EVENTUALLY they understand what I'm trying to say... IF they don't I drop it and change topics ;p
the manja-ness runs in you once in awhile... possible from being the youngest in the family... heh heh
its been so long since i last heard you speak..
but i dont remember you being manja-ish dulu.. actually you were a little bit towards ka j.. a little bit i guess..
Ha ha ha... the never ending road to self recovery! why this constant self evaluation? Be happy with yourself, despite differences. That is why you are unique and you are always you and is irreplaceable.
as for funny speech, i as a slt have assessed once before, all of the family members, and i find you to be average. Yes, you froth at the sides of your mouth when you speak fast... and saliva a plenty when excited or laughing making you a bit unclear, but generally, average.
as for unable to understand difficult words, with more exposure, and reading and using them daily, it gets easier.. Anyways, english is our second language. Don't stress out too much. I dare say, most Malays' vocab is higher than that of an average english person!
Manja... well... the usual i want something, then it'll come, but usually, its just the same! pitch, loudness... again... this is the same. better than a sister we know that 'shouts'.. to be heard constantly!
Anyways... like one of your friend said, to speak is to be understood and to communicate your need accross... if people understand you, and you are happy with your skills, embrace it. If you feel you need to further improve yourself, then by all means, try to improve... but do not obsess!
all girls are manja :p
I like ur fren war186's comments. Now I know who ur frens are. Hehehe.
Ka Idot.. I think being the youngest surely does play a role in the manja way of speaking ;p
Yus: tha's right.. I've not actually spoken to you in AGES =( Anyway.. I was manja towards J then? hehe... I think I still am ;p
Ka Meela: It's just me wanting to understand and know why people think the way they think! And your comment was onen of the comments I Was hoping and waiting for! I needed a professional's opinion! And thanks for the tips.. I tried talking 'Scottish' with my friends in OTC tadi, but it didn't quite work ;p
Bubbles and DocMamau: I am not impressed.. you aren't answering the question! ;p
But Bubbles... seeing that this is your first time commenting EVER and you've already told me what you think, awak di maafkan..
However Doc Mamau.. I'm expecting MORE from you! Especially when you've got ALL that free time on you! ;p
Docmamau, I don't usually talk like that. Haha.
Fets, you're demanding! I guess I now know how it feels like when I want you to comment, but at least I'm not specific lol. ;P
Anyway, manja. Manja is when you speak melodically. (Oh no! What have I just said? Don't ask me to explain please heh) It's usually when you want something. I think in summer when you asked me to play netball with you hence ada tia the manja tone. Hehe.
Like Ka Meela said, don't obssess! :)
Hahaha... Memang demanding budak seorang ini! And what free time?? LOL ;p
Well, for me, you ARE manja to certain people only, and at certain times only jugak. The one person yang I saw you definitely NEVER acted manja with ever was with that particular person who has tv sendiri, but nda pernah buka. LOL;p
How would I describe your 'manja-ness'? Hmmm... Macamana ah... U know, macam Mamau...Kalau ia kan bermanja, that's how u r! Tambah lagi kalau ia lapar... even more similar! Hehehe...
So,just go observe your own mamau or think n ingatkan how ur mamau behaves...
And also... ur Intonasi. (as war186 said... her comment is still my favourite! :))
I think you speak absolutely uberly! cept maybe when your sleepy then you sound like a freight train :)
War.. I am not obsessed.. not yet! Hahah.. Melodically huh.. interesting ;p
And Doc.. I miss my mamau!! He's called Pipip!!! My sister has two new ones... Bootie and Chief!! Hehehe.. I'm told they're NAUGHTY!!!
J (the male one)- freight train? HAHAH!!! Lap you lots!!
fets, i think u enunciate ur words clearly so i dunno why if people have probs with that! and loud too. ermmm... manja? i dont think so. but ada lah melandih kebruneian mu.
Melandih.. Yes.. I indeed landih when I speak Brunei... might as well make it real proper Brunei innit? ;p
Post a Comment