Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Tears in medicine

Into my fourth year of medical school, and I can only remember crying three times!!!

1st tear shed = second year when I absolutely HATED medicine and didn't want to do anything but to quit!!! Upon listening to advice/advise (i can never tell c or s... i think it's a c.. Dee.. care to remind me again? ;p) from my seniors.. I decided to stick with it... Chin up, head on, smile and plod on... to a whole lifetime of this..

2nd tear shed = in India last year when I found out I couldn't go back home to Brunei as I had planned because I had to stay in UK for an extra week to do the communication supplementarty thing.

3rd tear shed = today. When I felt very small and stoopid and next to nothing, thanks to the consultant I was shadowing. He started off by asking me questions about drugs... and then anatomy and physiology... Everything which I can't quite remember. Upon not knowing, he asked more... and on saying "I don't know" he still continued...

I suppose this is what consultants look forward to when they wake up in the morning, "Who should I pick on today so that I can feel superior?" Although I know this, I still managed to let it get to me and as a result I shed a tear!!! He didn't see me cry and I think I made it pretty obvious I wasn't impressed with his 'bullyings' at all... At the end of the session, when I asked to leave (because I had enough), he asked, "Have I given you a hard time?" I said, "Yes. Thank you." and left!!!

Ahh.. I wish that's the last time I had to see him... but no.. i've got another two weeks in Perth and a lot more weeks in Dundee/Perth...

There's definitely MORE tears to be shed in the future... It's a lifetime of crying...

And when I'm at the top of the pecking order, I hope and pray that I do NOT turn out to be condescending and judgemental... I need NORMAL, NON-MEDICS to keep me sane and make me aware of what life is outside medicine!!! I need YOU (provided you are non medic, so NOT you Fiz, and not you Naz, and not you Ten and not Bads either!) to kick some sense in me!!!

Medics are sad!!! They're geeks by default, moulded to be weird to overcome the stress and the things they see on a daily basis, and as a result, they lose their social skills and have limited friends of just medics. That's the life I'm trying to achieve!!! Wish me luck!

15 comments:

Dee said...

C. :P

Eh, macam Scrubs tu eh, where Dr. Kelso does rounds (or something) with the interns and sengaja tanya yang payah payah and ia suka when they get it wrong.

FR said...

Hey Dee.. aren't you proud of me.. I kinda remembered c!!! from the email you once sent me... =)

And yes, life is pretty much like Scrubs.. when the lower down you are.. the less you know, and the higher up you go, the more pathetic you truly are!

Sigh..

Izzaldin said...

yes... life IS like scrubs...

Anonymous said...

don't worry.. i'll kick some sense into you.. :) take it easy fets..

RSHA said...

babe, dont worry babe, he is just trying your knowledge out bah tu, catching you off guard, inda kan d bagitau nya u, 2morow ada kan ku tanya ko nie, so be prepared. :)

is the consultant ure talking about ani the shithead or the nice one... :) from the sound of ur blog the shit head :) jgn tah worry, you'll do fine. dont let this man bug u..

Love
Me

Izzaldin said...

think about how dr. cox treats jd!.. ok that should have been my first post..

FR said...

Hey R&al.. can I type your real name now? I know before you were trying to remain anon.. but i think tha's no longer the case.. and it feels fake to be calling you R&al ;p

Anyway, yes.. u better kick some sense into me!!! Always always ok.. Heheh.. How are you? What are you up to now? Blog!!!

Kaka... he isn't really a shithead.. he's just being a consultant!!!

Today (day after my outburst) he had a decent conversation with my friend "where do yuo come from?" "have u been there?" type dialogues...

I'd like to think I had initiated this change!!! LOL

And Dinski, yeah, that should have been your first post... But like I said.. life is like scrubs.. It might be the series which potrays the real life medicine on tv.. ;p

Padian said...

*hugs* sigh... can i be optimistic when reality is not as such... yes... life is beginning to be more real now eh... *hugs*

Its just so... we just have to learn to accept it and learn when to say no. Knowing your stuff and giving your best helps... SLT clinicians are tough as well... but not as tough as yours i imagine. They don't put me down as hard and as often as they do in scrubs.

*hugs* this is life... accept it and be more cautious.

Apprentice educator said...

aww fettssss...

maybe its tough coz careers like yours needs toughness much more than yang lain. huhu.

anyway. if u need kicking im here. tho i doubt im the kick ur butt type. i can slap u meekly if u want! hahaha!!

xx

War186 said...

You've got me. :D If I'm not there pun you can read my blog right? :)

Macam Grey's anatomy jua. Ah Syaz ah? Have you seen the series? If you're not fed up with med stuff watch it when you're free 'cause it's quite good. Sama jua macam scrubs tu yang Dee mention pasal interns and rounds atu.

An example :
Do you want my advice?
I advise you to...
Mau jua haha ;P

Try calling R&al Rebbe Fets hehe. If you don't want to, it's ok hee.

Anyway, chin up and good luck Fets! *hugs*

If I were you, I'd have no tears left. Eh, let me rephrase that. If I was in your position I'd be crying daily. You have strength to keep up and we have faith in you so you'll be ok. :)

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. apa nie c war ani.. :p

yes you can call me by my name if you want.. hey! i just got that.. real, fake, real, fake.. haha.. okie..

FR said...

hi kaka... i think my biggest problem is not knowing my things.. I now read part of my books I've never touched before and I think "gosh, how did I pass without knowing this exists?" SCARY thought that ;p

Wana: Meekly slaps are accepted.. ;p

War: I do watch greys anatomy!! it's brilliant!!! Not as funny as Scrubs, BUT also slightly more real... And yeah, I can always read your blog ;p

Yus: Yay!!! I can type your name now!! Whee!!! I didn't think of R&al, real fake crap.. that's just you being clever.. HAHAHA... Was the J in your blog who gave you cake MY J? When you next see her, tell her to be blogging will ya.. THANKS =)

AlaiMidget said...

fets, of all people, as u know, i know how u feel. consultants just know how to make u feel stupid dont they. No wait, doctors in general have the potential to make u feel stupid. *sigh* can tell i had a bad day today. And yes, sometimes when i read up, i wonder... cemana buleh aku pass. HUGGIES!

War186 said...

Ko kenapa Yus? :P

Padian said...

ha ha ha... I have the same question all the time, and i have been practicing for almost a decade! :P ha ha ha ha...

A brilliant clinician once said to me,... If you feel you know it all, I have failed you. *hugs* bring that with you.

And also, i know they like things like "I am not quite sure about that but I'll read on it and let you know" kind of sentences :) works brilliantly for me... still use it actually with my patients :P he he he...

Science is a growing field... Be amazed and embrace it...