Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Raya

First day of raya = skipped uni and went to Perth to be with the Bruneians there... Since they were MORE into the festive mood than the Bruneians in Dundee...
Siok ada raya mood and decorations and they cooked LOTS.. like 40kg worth of chicken lots!!! ;p rendang, mee goreng... the works =)
Some were obviously sad, this being their first raya away from home and family and friends and loved ones etc etc... I couldn't help but tertitik sedikit air mata when I saw one of them crying! Hehehe... I must say, I'm better this year compared to last year! ;p (I was in the raya mood last year)
Then they asked why the Dundonians weren't too festive, and the only 'excuse' I could come up with was, "it is just another day?" I don't think that's completely right.. All of us are saddened with not being able to go home... But, the fact that we've been doing this for AGES (or it feels that way anyway!!) makes it feels like it is just another day.
I think being away from home for a long time builds a WALL in our souls to NOT be too sad... and to not be too festive... It's a safety mechanism... So yeah, it's not that we aren't festive, we're trying to be brave and not be homesick and not to cry buckets... (Safety mechanism has its limits ;p)
Someone asked me, "When was the last time you spent your raya in Brunei?" And I thought for a while.. and said, "2002.. Almost ujung Syawal" That's 5 rayas in total now that I've not been in Brunei... I've kinda forgotten the siokness of it all.. When I was a kid, it'd be the fact that I'd be hoping to get the green packets!!! As I got less green packets, and as the number of houses we can be bothered to go to decreased, raya in my immediate family is just first day raya at home, go to my grandma's then go to my aunt's and second day raya go to KB... That is as much as I remember it...
No doubt I miss being with family... But I think the thing that I miss most, without a doubt, is the RENDANGS that people serve at their place!!! Yummy!!! Especially my mom's as this is the ONE day that she WILL cook rendang..!!!
So people with access to rendangs, think of me when you eat it.. and put an extra portion on your plate and eat it for me! THANKS!!!
Raya card count = 4
e-raya card count = 2
open houses count = 3

3 comments:

Apprentice educator said...

wow 40kgs of chicken!!!!!!!!! byk tu eh! buleh panggil sekampung

i agree with u on the festive wall part. huhu.

War186 said...

I ate rendang for you already hehe. Bejabir aku ah.

War186 said...

Banarr lama dah ko na beraya sini. Baik jua ada wall atu. *hugs*