Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Perth, Scotland, 30 mins away

I'm in Perth for the next four weeks doing Surgery 3 = whatever surgery that is depending on which consultant I attach myself to... I am to theoretically change a consultant every week...

The university provides us with an accommodation at the nurusing accommodation but it is revolting! So.. I have decided to stay with Lolly and Aleep and when Syma has the same starting time as I do on the next day, I go back with Syma in her car! =)

Two days into this block, I've concluded... tutorials are of good quality (Except the radiology teaching... because they NEVER make sense and I can NEVER see what all the other eyes see ;p) but with too much tutorials, I don't get to see quite what the consultants do on a weekly basis...

Anyhow... The provided accommodation is crap mainly because the place is DEAD QUIET!!! There's ONE tv... Kitchens which have disgusting utensils and pretty much knackered and not in use... Toilets and bathrooms as per boarding house... Ie 2 at the end of each corridor... Shared of course... BUT, it has to be said, the room is better than my FIRST YEAR UNI ACCOMMODATION when I basically had a shoebox.. This is at least a decent sized room with a sink.. Hehehe.. and MORE space provided to 'hide' my things compared to first year!!!

But, because there's NO decent person to talk to, DISGUSTING kitchen and LACK of tv/entertainment... I canNOT stay there.. I NEED someone to talk to.. because there's no INTERNET, I can't entertain myself... It's DULL...

Hospital wise.. it's smaller than Ninewells (MY UNI HOSPITAL) and more intense but more slack as well... Confused? hehehe.. It's confusing because I don't know where places are! I get lost, but it has to be said... I haven't been late for anything yet, so not THAT lost ;p Only TWO places to eat.. PRICEY food.. and not as much choice as in Ninewells (Missing Ian Low already <-- That's where I get my lunch usually)

But... people are generally MUCH NICER!!! Consultants say hi to you when they see you along the corridor, porters say hi to you... and what i think is MOST significant is the fact that NURSES are nice to us mere medical students!!! They are very helpful and absolutely polite!!! A HUGE change and I was so shocked when a nurse offered to help me instead of me waiting in the nurses' station for a few minutes WAITING for them to be 'free' so they could show me where I could find something.. Hehehe..

4 weeks of Perth.. It will definitely be an interesting 4 weeks =)

3 comments:

War186 said...

No internet? That figures 'cause I haven't seen you in a while. Heh.

Anyway, here's to four weeks of fun in Perth. :D

Padian said...

sigh... i understand what you mean... but you are slightly better than I... You have friends.... I have none...

Anonymous said...

ask ka-j about my old room in bhall dulu.. thats a shoe box.. i remember she had her friends tsedi and someone with her.. my room was sampit man..