Monday, March 10, 2008

Accepting compliments

My sister tells me I need to learn to accept compliments... I think she is right!!! I always find myself flustered when anyone gives me a compliment...

To illustrate:
I was speaking to a drug rep and we were just doing the 'getting to know each other' speil... I was obviously conversing in English...

She suddenly interrupts me mid-sentence and said that I had good english and that she wouldn't have thought that my family was all the way back in the Kingdom. She said she'd have assumed my family had come over in the past and that I had lived all my life here...

To get such a compliment is quite a rarity - for me anyway... As I think 1. I have a poor command of english and 2. I feel that everyone forgets that not everyone speaks english as their first language...

Anyhoo... the drug rep left me feeling stunned and shocked!! I said 'thank you' and felt colour rising to my cheeks... And to make it all worse... I then could not speak and was stuttering all the way through the remaining of our conversation...

So yes, I need to learn how to accept compliments better... Any tips?

2 comments:

Padian said...

I have been teaching my Patient "Monica" to recieve compliments. You may wish to try words such as
"Why, thank you so much"
"You are so kind"
"Its my pleasure"
"Please do not mention it"
"Oh! Its nothing really"
and more... :)

See.. its so easy *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Heya fets..Its huda(5U) here. I find it hard to accept compliments too. Go figure. I think a simple 'thank you' would suffice.