That thing called family!!!
Funny isn't it that we get different reactions from different people when we mention family. Different reactions even when they are in the same family. What does family mean to you?
I always believe that every family is similar. Obviously not the same, because no two people are the same. Therefore we can't have two family units, made of different people the same. They can however be similar. There's always the black sheep. There's always the brat. There's always the bossy one. There's always the lazy one. There's always the odd one out.
And I have also learnt that it is not the best of attitudes to assume what a family is like behind closed doors!! You might think that a family is perfect... Everyone gets along fine with each other, lots of love showed... Or horrible... divorced parents, separated siblings etc etc... Of course these are just two extreme examples, but they are true. People think this.
The point is... you can never guess what a family is like.. And you will never know who plays what role in each family. And you will never know who does what. There is no way of telling. One of the family members might say something, and the next member will say something else. Everyone perceives the same things differently. That is what makes us unique.
As human beings, I believe that we are incapable of being thankful and appreciative of others. I feel that everyone practises self-pity and is forever proud of themselves. In a family, all these different human beings have no choice but to call them a family. The people who they are to fall to if things go sour in life...
What happens if you don't get along with people in your family? Do you pretend that you do and try and live the perfect life? Do you not care and continue to bite each others head and vow to kill the other person at the next chance? Do you pretend to be strong and live life on your own not wanting help? What happens? What do you do? Would you go as low as to use hocus-pocus malarkey?
My family, as is all family, is not perfect.. I do not believe in perfect families. That's just stupid media in an ideal world. But would it really be ideal without some sibling rivalry to push you into being a better person?
What do I think we should do in order to achieve better relationships within the family? I think we should work at it, treat it like a working environment!! You work hard at making your working environment bearable. You work extremely hard at making your relationship work. Why is making your family ties better any different? Just because you're borned into the family doesn't mean you were supposed to magically love each other..
Transferring the black sheep is not an option!!! ie disowning a family member is not an option!! Everyone has to learn to appreciate each other, try and understand the others, do not assume, do not judge, give people multiple chances in life, and confront each other. What's the point of not confronting when you've been given brains and a voice by God the Almighty? Do not be hateful. Do not self-pity. Do not be proud. And imagine yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you react then?
To conclude, i seriously think everyone is a weirdo!!! If we can accept this, and accept that we are weirdos ourselves, then you've done well. Keep telling yourself that everyone is different. Do not expect others to change, if you aren't willing to change. Think about why others might not like you... change for the better!! If you aren't willing to change, why do you even bother wishing for a better family? Accept that you are capable of being in the wrong.
Family... Even if mine isn't perfect (as I said earlier, I don't believe in the perfect family), I love mine. And I won't swap them for anything!! Not even for that Porsche I dream of owning!!!
xx
ps: I am however NOT the perfect person... I would not feel too guilty if someone wanted to swap one of my lesser liked extended family member with a Porsche. Hehehehe.
No comments:
Post a Comment