My first block is obs and gynae block.. in Brunei i think that's the beranak and penyakit wanita department... or i think most people know it as the gynae dept...
Anyhow... I got the oppurtunity to do bidan like work for 2weeks!!! one week in the antenatal clinic (Tha's the clinic for pregnant ladies.. where they meet their midwives regularly to have their checks to make sure everythng is in top condition) and another week in the labour suite (wad beranak!)
For two weeks, i saw MORE pregnant ladies than I have in the past 22 years... LOL.. They come in every shape, size and age!!! from as young as younger than me and as old as older than my eldest sister ;p
Loved the antenatal work... just talk to the patients, feel their baby, listen to the heart etc.. EASY (;p)
Labour ward.. now that's a different story... 1st night.. QUIET night.. didn't manage to see anything until 6 in the morning... I just stood there in awe and in shock really. I watched this lady give birth, calmly pushing her baby out, breathing heavily into her gas mask (her ONLY source of painkiller)... midwife and student giving her instructions and doing things with the baby. Baby was wrapped and given to mom, and u just think.. AWWWW... as u see both parents very delighted with tears in their eyes...
Second delivery I saw, I delivered! (EXCITING!!!) with two midwives... first midwife told me where to place my hand. As I did as I was told, second midwife whispered into my right ear, "you don't know what you're doing do you?" and of course my answer was "nope!" HAHAHA.. then I got a step by step instruction and alhamdulillah I delivered a baby girl!!! HIGHLIGHT of my day that was.. only to go back to the flat and SLEEP!!!!
Saw C-sections done as well... It was brutal comapred to what I can remember from the one I saw in India... The surgeons proper STRETCH ur muscles (apparently it's nicer than cutting up your muscles)... But I'm thinking.. with the strength they use in stretching my numb muscles... they would actually move the other parts of me which aren't affected by the anaesthesia... And to be honest, I don't think I'd like to ever feel that.
Remember some time ago I said I'd probably be the kind of woman who would just go "cut me up and take the baby out"? Well... I don't think I'd even want to do that now.. And currently, it's still a no no on the whole pushing issue too... A dream scenario would be baby just comes magically!!! hehehe.. So I guess I'm adopting! LOL...
To those who has given birth... WELL DONE!!! To those who are yet to deliver, do not let me spoil your experience!! Just think of the first case I saw... It's all BLISS!!!
What I've learnt:
Midwives' voice are ever so calming!
Some fathers (of child) aren't very helpful during this period of total pain!!
Working nights isn't cool.
When I'm very tired, I sleep in the one position and don't move until I wake up.
That's my bidan experience. Quite fun to do for 2 weeks, but to do for my entire life? I am not too sure...
5 comments:
obs n gynae sounds exciting!!!! i cant wait!!! and i cant believe ko sudah deliver a baby!!! (excitement overload) yah, it does sound interesting kan but as a profession...? will see i guess how i find it nanti. ..... i just keep thinking, u shudve taken pics on the first time u delivered. not with the baby of course, haha. but usul mu all night up :p
wah.. well done.. :)
WoW!!! What an experienced!! steady eh u delivered a baby udah congratz eh hehe but don wory u wont do that for ur entire life unless u work in that department forever hehe but its really cool experienced :) oh yeah i wonder how u look like when u delivered that baby hehe mahu jua liat bah keep up the good work :)
Cool, man, you delivered a baby! :D
Kurang pasti who MJ is.. Who are you?
Anyway Fiz.. I surprise myself by liking gynae MORE than OBS (but really.. no surprises me hating babies ;p)... Gynae theatre is so kool... I LOVE the theatre.. Even if it means my heels get very tired and sore!
Thanks R&al... I do try ;p
MJ - I don't know how I look.. but for sure proper shocked during the first one and the second one TRYING to look as if I knew what I was doing ;p
Yea War.. it WAS pretty cool.. hehehe... Theatre is MORE kool me thinks =)
Post a Comment