Tuesday, January 25, 2005

degrees

I cannot imagine myself doing a degree which is purely essay based.. or pure numbers based! My degree is PURE lectures based.. at least for the first three years. then its pure clinical and pure ssc (projects)...


I think I like the way my uni does my course... because it is lectures based.. so I have the SLIGHT feeling of being spoon-fed... Imagine if I were to be in a university which was problem based... which requires the student to be on top form and being self motivated to do work... and BARELY getting any forms of lectures... i wouldn't have survived at all!!! i don't think!!! and better still, i am not in a university where my course is essay based... which involves me having to do a number of essays per week!!! I hate writing when it is expected to be of top quality and being very flowy and sounding very scientific!...

However, doing my course, I do feel that I'm not understanding how other degrees work.. I feel like I have been denied the TRUE and REAL feelings of being a university student. For one thing, i can't choose which modules i'd like to do... <-- that would be interesting. having a role in deciding what MAKES my degree course.

Also, i don't have a clue as to how it feels to just have lectures maybe once a week with just a lot of reading... <-- i don't particularly want this.. because i wouldn't be up to date with my reading, and as a result i will be ultra stoopid and lost at tutorials and seminars or whatever it is other students get...

I guess to a certain extent this is why it is kinda difficult for a medic to converse with a non-medic.. because university life is SO different!!! sigh... medics tend to be with other medics... And talk NOTHING but medical related things... today my patient bla bla bla.. what do you do if your patient has bla bla bla sigh.. the list continues...

then there's the fact that my course has a very ridiculous HIGH passing mark of 70%... this is the PASS mark!!! i don't think i can stress enough.. If i were to do another degree.. a 70% would at least be a 2:1... i think.. sigh.. yes i am aware its harder to score in essay based subjects like say latin and politics... but tha's besides the point.. the point im trying to relay is the fact that my passing mark is almost too hard to reach!!!

This leads me to have a new motto, education wise, "ASAL PAS" "AS LONG AS I PASS"!!! it depresses me to even be this laid back about it!!! but i can't help it. i'm not clever enough and i'm not disciplined and motivated and keen to go through my lectures at least each week!!! so i guess it's kinda my fault!

sigh..

It's hard to know who the studious people are in my year... There are people who I think look like they have fun all the time and don't go through the lectures... It's amazing to find out, when I do have tutorials with these people, that they have prepared, know what they are talking about and have valid opinions and thoughts!!!

In my course, there are a few people who I describe as Barbies and Kens... Not in the sense they are blonde and bimbo-ish.. but more to the fact that they are blonde-ish and good-looking-ish!!! and it's when MY barbies and kens are clever that i find myself to be most surprised!!! i guess i can't accept the fact that pretty ones can be clever (no offence to good looking people around!!!)... it's even MORE impressive that I see these barbies and kens and a lot others from my years to be STUDYING in the library on MORNINGs when we do NOt have a 9am start!!! and... I get further impressed (yes.. it's possible indeed) that these people do go out and have fun!!!

Just how do they do it? be on top form, look pretty, does extra studying AND have fun!!! AMAZING!!! compared to myself... i DON'T go through lectures, I don't do anything extra (tho i did go twice to the library HOPING to do sth core.. didn't happen =( ) and fun? my fun = online, msn, tv, and going out to eat... dududud...

so yea.. it is almost impossible to tell who studies and who doesn't... and as I talk to MORE ppl in my year (at bus stops... in the cold!!!) I realise its getting HARDER to find anyone who DOESN'T do their work!!! i AM in the MINORITY!!! its stressing and worrying!!! and i Panic and get worried about my upcoming exams, yet i still don't do anything about it!!! sigh.. STRESS STRESS!!!

dududdu.... sometimes i think I'd like to do a different degree? but what would i pick? it would have to be something with not much reading, not too much essay writing, not too much work... what would that leave me with? NOTHING at all!!!

sigh.. my back up plan will remain as it is... an air hostess... or a plumber in the UK!!! A plumber earns at least £60 an hour! WAYYYY more than your average doctor!!! now tha's something to think about!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heheh! Apakan erti purely essay or number based ani? Yatah, sometimes aku terfikir tu yang pasal you medics 70% atu pass. Kalau kami its a first!! If I was to do medic, huhu, I'd probably be in the first year FOREVER!! Hahaha.. awwu, I get to choose my modules for 3rd year!! Takut ku plg... I know for sure I don't wanna do design cos its very stressing. hehehehe... I hope modules nya siuk-siuk. I agree with you pasal how they can have fun + excel in their studies!! hmpff... luv, S

Anonymous said...

Heya beb.
Chill k?I know it seems that everybody study...just do work at your own pace.

I didnt study very much masa 2nd yr jua...still passed the exam. To get over the stress, just read a little...it will surperise you how good it feels just after doing a little amount of work...

Good luck..=)

War186 said...

OMG! That is such a long post! And I've no idea what to comment about..Hahaha I think u took my writing passion away from me nyeh ;P

Buleh psl Barbies & Kens ahh..how discriminating are u? Hrhr. :P

Air hostess ey..not much work tu banar, sudah kraja banyak travelling cool jua tu. Aku jdi driver sja heheh..not only cos I think it's the thing I know I do best, I enjoy it as well haha sad! ;P

Anonymous said...

hey syaz: yes, i think designing would be hard.. stress tu ;p

thanks ka nonie... i shall try and do a bit of reading.. see if it makes me feel better.. im sure it will...

and war.. bukannya discrimanting to differentiate the prettier ones (both male and female) from the not too good looking ones... its for easier referencing when we don't know their names yet ;p muahaha! =)

Padian said...

It is strange how i think all humans are good only for one thing... that is complaining. I do it sometimes as well... GUILTY as charged.

There is nothing wrong with being lazy sometimes, unmotivated etc. Its only human nature. But when and if you reflect and focus on your main aims, you pull yourself together and make it happen. As i am sure you know this.

Different people like to do different things... and if you think this is the field for you, continue and strive to do your best, even if its not good to any one else but you. But if you have second thoughts, I suggest you think carefully. Is it time to move on to something different?

If you do complete it... only to reconfirm you are unsuitable for it... You are subjecting yourself to a life long misery... and that is the worse kind of misery!!!