As a medical student, it was always told to us that communication is very important in our chosen field!!! And it definitely is!!!
In Rochdale, there have been a couple of incidents (at least) when I see patients who barely speak English!!! It makes taking their history, thus understanding what they are complaining of that bit more difficult.. Almost as difficult as taking history from a child! No joke...
I had a patient who apparently came in with chest pain.
Me: Chest pain?
Patient (pt): Yes
Me: Now chest pain?
Pt: No
Last night chest pain
No
Yesterday chest pain
Yes
- ok - doesn't really make sense - ask again
Sleep?
Yes
Pain before sleep?
No
Sleep then pain?
Huh?
So I was acting out sleep, pain, wakening up suddenly with pain... And I eventually got a history which finally makes sense... no pain before sleep, then suddenly woke up with pain..
I had pulled the curtains round so no one else got to see me making a fool of myself...
Patient probably only found me annoying!! Ahh well... Get over it!
Second patient...
She apparently had a cough and fever..
Fever?
Yes
Rigors?
what?
Fever - shake body? *acting out rigors*
YES YES
Cough?
huh?
*cough*cough*
yes
a lot or a little?
huh?
*COUGH COUGH COUGH* or *c-ough*
Yes yes COUGH COUGH COUGH
Any phlegm?
huh?
Makes noise as if to get rid of my phlegm..
YES YES.. MANY!!
I'm sure no one else saw what I was doing - but they could hear me...
At least I got to communicate - I found out what I needed to know...
And, I made the patient laugh with my silly antics!!
The things I do, to know what has happened!! lol! Who said doing what I do does not require acting skills? ;p
3 comments:
hahaha... well done bibob.... thats good communication skills sudah...
hahahaha cali.....
:)
babes babes.... :) at least baby dapat memperkembangkan bakat yang tersirat di ur innerself.. muakakakakakak
NICE!!! I would have not done better myself. Any SLT would have been proud that you have tried and explored OTHER options in communication.... WELL DONE!!!
A lesson to be learnt by ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS - young or old!!!!
Post a Comment