I am currently doing a block where as a student, I get to do 'shift work', doing most of what the junior doctors do (apart from signing things) and supposedly learning!!! It's a lot of work, but so far, I've amazed myself by enjoying myself. So, perhaps this chosen career path wasn't such a huge mistake after all.
I've just finished a 3 day night shift over the weekend!!! From this short shift, I have realised I will no doubt have great difficulty in adjusting to shift work in the future!! I am not very naive as to not realise that this is what I have to do when I start work. I do have doctor friends, and they do tell me what it's like.. and I've always anticipated that it'll have a great impact on my health (and sanity!). However, actually doing this shift, and seeing other people doing their shifts made it that little bit more surreal... and it left me dumbfounded!!! (Not a lot of things can quite do that to me)
There I was on a Saturday morning, doing a ward round with the consultant, all shaved, showered, who had walked in at 7.30am to see his patients!! And as we did our ward round, more doctors strolled in, dressed in their smart clinical clothes, looking clean and showered and ready to rumba and do their thing...
Did I already mention that this is a Saturday.. ie a weekend.. and these people are in the hospitals at 7.30am... And it was the same again on Sunday. A day dedicated to be a nesting day, or a wedding day in Brunei ;p What do you do at 7.30 am on a weekend?
I've never realised how much dedication these doctors have in treating their patients. Perhaps it is not so much dedication, but just doing thier jobs. Whatever the reason behind them coming into work on a weekend, I think they are doing an amazing job!!! To that, we should all be thankful to all hospital staffs for running the hospitals!!!
However, having said that, if you had a choice as to when to fall ill, please do not do so on a weekend... Do it on a Monday =) That way, you'll be sure to have all the services up and running and you'll have all the investigations and treatment that you deserve!!! ;p
Lots of love,
F xx
PS: Post three day night shift, it has screwed my sleeping times, eating patterns, and just totally screwed me up!!! Sigh... My future job is going to ruin me!!! Great huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment