Everyone tells me I don't blog about my medical side of life often enough. And I say, it's boring to write about medical things.. But I guess like everything else in life, if you're not actually in the one path, you find it interesting. So all the non-medics readers actually want to get a bit of medicine out of me.
I am a medic. and as I've said possibly millions of times before, a medic is a geek by default. and that means me too. Deep deep inside, there lies a geek in me! Hard to believe, but yeah, I seriously believe this. And I am truly a medic because I laugh at medical jokes (sometimes) and I don't really find all the other careers all that exciting (except maybe rich retired people)... ;p And no, that does not mean I think I am superior than all the other beings out there in the world!! It just means I've gone through a 'good' medical school - it moulds me into 'sticking with medics' 'medicine is the best' 'we make a difference'.
Ok, i'm losing the plot..
Anyhow, medicine!!! I honestly thought I'd want to be a doctor!! A surgeon to be exact. Whether I can do it is another issue and what type of surgeon is yet another. I'd like to be able to introduce myself as "Hi.. I am a brain surgeon" even if in the medicine world, the surgeons are seen as one of the lowest doctors in the sense of medical knowledge (hierarchy exists everywhere!!)
The further along I go in this career path, the more confused I become!! There are certain days where I think "great, this is exactly what I want to do in life!" and others where I sink slowly and think "This isn't for me. I'm not cut out to be a dr. This is too difficult for me" Yet, I carry on, because the intention was to be a doctor, and the intention is still the same and there hasn't been a major event in my life which has forced me to change my intentions. Perhaps next year something happens, or sometime in the future.. I don't know, but God knows!!! Till then, to be a doctor is what I aim to be...
Anyhow.. there are lots of tv shows out there about medicine and doctors.. To give an 'insight' to the non-medics out there and perhaps to provide 'controversy' for the medics...
1. ER - now EVERYONE loved this. I liked it too. Pre medical school and even when I didn't know half the words uttered by the ever so cool ER doctors...
2. Scrubs - ever so funny, and perhaps one my personal favourites. It is kinda like the real life situation!! But not quite.
3. Becker - he is funny!!! He's a good doctor I feel, treating all those in the rundown area!!! He is sarcastic etc, but he gets his job done!!
4. Grey's anatomy - i LOVE this!!! I love the DRAMA that happens in it. Ofcourse this doesn't really happen, but it's a FANTASTIC show!!
and 5. House - a wee bit too long and in depth and too cleverly stupid for me, but hey, it appeals to some... (No one size fits all)
however, my take of life as a medical student: it ain't all that rigid.. It's variable!!! VERY variable.. And you have to absolutely love medicine and to be enthusiastic and keen to get the most out of it (as of other things in life)...
Today, was my FIRST ever time seeing a person yang kan mati - nazak... It wasn't a great sight. Nor was it a good feeling!! I almost cried... but we left the patient, and I could recompose myself and no tears..
In this - no aggressive treatment was done, because it is something natural! People die. We don't resist it yet we don't accelerate it. We let it take its natural course. We as doctors can't play God, and we shouldn't and can't prolong every life that comes our way. We have our limits!!
Yesterday, I saw a lady who was involved in a road traffic accident. Her left kaki was KOYAK!! We can see her muscles (ancur like) and I remember beeing excited and wow-ed!!! Then they took her to the theatre to try and save her kaki. only then to find out, they couldn't do it and she had to have it amputated!!!
In this - I feel like this career is making me less human!! Why on earth would I actually actively 'wish' that someone would have this sort of trauma so that I can have a bit of excitement in my day!!! No human being should wish the worse on another person!! None!!
Pokoknya, at the moment, I think I'm in a medical trough.. I'm not seeing myself as a doctor/surgeon... And I'm feeling I'm not cut out for this career. But, as I have said, I shall continue on, as it is my intention to be a doctor, as of now...
Tawakal selalu,
xx
I am a medic. and as I've said possibly millions of times before, a medic is a geek by default. and that means me too. Deep deep inside, there lies a geek in me! Hard to believe, but yeah, I seriously believe this. And I am truly a medic because I laugh at medical jokes (sometimes) and I don't really find all the other careers all that exciting (except maybe rich retired people)... ;p And no, that does not mean I think I am superior than all the other beings out there in the world!! It just means I've gone through a 'good' medical school - it moulds me into 'sticking with medics' 'medicine is the best' 'we make a difference'.
Ok, i'm losing the plot..
Anyhow, medicine!!! I honestly thought I'd want to be a doctor!! A surgeon to be exact. Whether I can do it is another issue and what type of surgeon is yet another. I'd like to be able to introduce myself as "Hi.. I am a brain surgeon" even if in the medicine world, the surgeons are seen as one of the lowest doctors in the sense of medical knowledge (hierarchy exists everywhere!!)
The further along I go in this career path, the more confused I become!! There are certain days where I think "great, this is exactly what I want to do in life!" and others where I sink slowly and think "This isn't for me. I'm not cut out to be a dr. This is too difficult for me" Yet, I carry on, because the intention was to be a doctor, and the intention is still the same and there hasn't been a major event in my life which has forced me to change my intentions. Perhaps next year something happens, or sometime in the future.. I don't know, but God knows!!! Till then, to be a doctor is what I aim to be...
Anyhow.. there are lots of tv shows out there about medicine and doctors.. To give an 'insight' to the non-medics out there and perhaps to provide 'controversy' for the medics...
1. ER - now EVERYONE loved this. I liked it too. Pre medical school and even when I didn't know half the words uttered by the ever so cool ER doctors...
2. Scrubs - ever so funny, and perhaps one my personal favourites. It is kinda like the real life situation!! But not quite.
3. Becker - he is funny!!! He's a good doctor I feel, treating all those in the rundown area!!! He is sarcastic etc, but he gets his job done!!
4. Grey's anatomy - i LOVE this!!! I love the DRAMA that happens in it. Ofcourse this doesn't really happen, but it's a FANTASTIC show!!
and 5. House - a wee bit too long and in depth and too cleverly stupid for me, but hey, it appeals to some... (No one size fits all)
however, my take of life as a medical student: it ain't all that rigid.. It's variable!!! VERY variable.. And you have to absolutely love medicine and to be enthusiastic and keen to get the most out of it (as of other things in life)...
Today, was my FIRST ever time seeing a person yang kan mati - nazak... It wasn't a great sight. Nor was it a good feeling!! I almost cried... but we left the patient, and I could recompose myself and no tears..
In this - no aggressive treatment was done, because it is something natural! People die. We don't resist it yet we don't accelerate it. We let it take its natural course. We as doctors can't play God, and we shouldn't and can't prolong every life that comes our way. We have our limits!!
Yesterday, I saw a lady who was involved in a road traffic accident. Her left kaki was KOYAK!! We can see her muscles (ancur like) and I remember beeing excited and wow-ed!!! Then they took her to the theatre to try and save her kaki. only then to find out, they couldn't do it and she had to have it amputated!!!
In this - I feel like this career is making me less human!! Why on earth would I actually actively 'wish' that someone would have this sort of trauma so that I can have a bit of excitement in my day!!! No human being should wish the worse on another person!! None!!
Pokoknya, at the moment, I think I'm in a medical trough.. I'm not seeing myself as a doctor/surgeon... And I'm feeling I'm not cut out for this career. But, as I have said, I shall continue on, as it is my intention to be a doctor, as of now...
Tawakal selalu,
xx
3 comments:
dehumanizing...it happens to us all. i find myself going to situations where i go 'WOW!' and then pause.... 'not WOW for the patient though'. we're morbid, almost-sick-but-then-it-has-been -normalised-for-us people.
Reminds me of Christina when she's keen on getting the 'great' cases. Hehe. True, those shows do give some insight into your world. Liat Grey's mesti tepikirkan ko, Fiz and the others.
In Scrubs, si Turk selalu kana tease oleh Cox for being a surgeon pasal apparently, they're not as 'smart' as the others, like him and JD. I didn't know it really happens in the real world!
Surely you have to be 'less human' to be able to survive medicine? I wouldn't know, but the TV shows always show that the emotional ones always tend to struggle.
I find House to be too mind challenging for me, I only watch it because the House/Wilson relationship amuses me.
Post a Comment