Friday, September 16, 2005

Day off

For the first time in my medical student life, i had a day off mid semester... And i think I spent it pretty wisely... (Not me skiving a day ;p For a change ;p)

Woke up late, online and spoke to friends and family, did some research (just so i dont feel too guilty), caught up with blog reading etc etc...

Internet ada sudah in my flat!!! ditto my cable and when I buy my phone, ditto my landline!!! Wahey!!! =) So iski!! At last my flat feels like a flat and at last it feels as if I could stay in it for longer than just an hour, and other than just to sleep in ;p Zakiah would probably be happy to know that I wont be too much of a pest anymore ;p (Appreciated ur total niceness for cooking me dinner and letting me watch ur TV).

Shall I bore you with what I did this summer then? I guess why not ;p

abis uni go down london to spend a fantastic week with Ka Jack, Jules, Kiki and Jeff... not to mention Somaiya, Kamini and Didin... Terserempak-ed with a lot of people... One that I remember well being Iris Zhang!!! I can't believe she has changed so much!!!

London memories - Porthsmouth, Naruto and Ninjaness, Singing tangah tangah malam with Jules and Kiki, Cocoon ;p, introducing Kiki to the family ;p and time with Som and Kam... Oh yea, we also had an rnBUK lunch and day out =) That was fantastic.

After London, came back to the north.. Jules came too, and we had our Edinburgh and Glasgow trip. in Glasgow, we went to this shopping place thing, and it was ultra boring!!! Our Glasgow trip was ultra boring!!!

Then... went to Uganda! My Norhtern Cobra Adventure Training.. ;p This was amazing!!! It was tiring, hot and mega fantastic. I might have been an ultra spoilt brat compared to the others, but hell, I don't care... =) Got a bit closer to the girls who I am friends with in the OTC and that was brilliant =) We had the Medic Tea Club ;p lol... We aren't geeks, we dont have medical conversation, we merely drink coffee and eat up my junk food supply, of which I had a lot!!! I practically supplied the food ;p Oh yea, si Fluff wasn't impressed when she found out that we have been eating through the trekking biscuit supplies as well. Muahahaha!!!

I can't remember how long I was in Uganda.. three weeks? 2 weeks? I don't know... But in that time, we trekked 80km in 4 days, worked on the project (building a well), kayakked and white water rafted. It was all good... I hated the trek most because of the first day... it was via the jungle, and even if I come from a country which is practically all jungle, I hate it!!! I don't like in Brunei, and there's no way I'd like it in Uganda... It also didn't help that our navigator got us lost and we had to go through a pineapple field and have our kaki cakar-ed by the thorns... And it also didn't help that my army boots were just a tad too tight and killed all my nails and gave me blisters and me being clumsy and just falling into ponds, chest first onto the log, and having weak ankles and just falling into a ditch!!! And that, I took EXTRA care!!! Imagine if I just walked through without being extra careful... It would probably have been worst, or plain ok =) So yea, after the first day, I was taken back to the camp and just did project work for two days before joining my group again for the last day of the trek =) That was fun... We started walking at 6am and with loads of rests and a bearable walking pace (8km per hour), we reached our end point at our predicted time and had the rest of the day off!!! =)

Next my group did project work... Every day go to the project site, which was about 800m away... helped a bit, get stared at by the whole village, play with the kids, (or if u were me, get annoyed by the kids), ate their lunch (at three pm) and then balik. Lunch... lunch involved their own version of baked beans, ubi manis and ubi kayu and this white thing, made of dried corn!!! Everyday, the same thing, and three fold as much as you can take!!! Everyday you have to try your best to eat as much as you can in order to not upset the locals too much... But, towards the end, I managed to tell the ladies that we'd like to get our own portion and that was MUCH MUCH better...

Next phase was kayakking. This we had to go to The Hairy Lemon, an island owned by an Australian couple. That island was pure relaxation. Bangun akhir, dinner akhir etc etc =) Sam, our instructor took two days to teach us the basics (most of which I will not be able to remember) strokes, turning, ferry gliding etc etc.. I'm useless with ferry gliding, and my power strokes isnt power at all.. and im just useless at pointing my kayak in the right direction. On the fourth day, was the day we are to go onto the rapids!!! I knew I wanted to do the waves (even if I capsize the whole way) but the fact that I had a whole river to ferry glide to disheartened me. But, I ferry glided anyway, and armed with my kayak, I went through the Nile Special!!! I overcame THREE hugewaves before capsizing!!! and it was ULTRA adrenaline rush!!! fun fun fun!!! Scary plang, tapi fun gilerr!!!

Then... more project work etc... and on our second last day in Uganda, we went white water rafting!!! We weren't the right number to do three rafts, so there was just two rafts and a safety Raft. Katherine and I were on the safety raft and that was fantastic... We NEVER capsized, didn't have to paddle so the whole experience was just like being on a roller coaster ride!!! FANTASTIC i tell you!!! Which reminds me, I should ask the C Coy if I could copy their DVD =) And erm... what else... That took one whole day, to go along 30km of the Nile and that was the end of the Uganda trip.

Uganda's vegetation was similar to Brunei, so in that respect, I wasnt really impressed with what I saw. And, we didn't get the oppurtunity to have a walk in the Kampala.. so that I found boring too.. I didn't have a 'feel' of the Uganda city life... But other than that, it was GREAT!!!

Then balik Brunei!!! YAY!!! Waited a bloody long time to go back to Brunei and it finally happened!!! =) As mentioned in previous post, I had D&V during the first week and that was not great at all!!!

Learnt how to knit, went to KL, my parents were away for 2weeks (which I later found out I could have joined!!! because they were on schedule), started the badminton club, and I volunteered in the Special Olympics. Other than that, did the usual, spend a lot of time with the family and the kids, jalan jalan with friends (although this year kurang to the max)...

Did I mention that Zeehah came back to Brunei?!! After so long (2 years) inda jumpa, she and I are in the same country again and as soon as I knew, I drove to her place!!! Fanbloodytastic that was!!! A good surprise!!! =)

Then, sadly, time to balik here and start my third year... I can't believe I'm in third year already!!! I'm halfway there and Insya Allah by 2008, I will become a doctor!!! Amin amin amin!!!

There... that's a long post...

1 comment:

War186 said...

That was a long post, indeed! =D finally u talked abt Uganda n that was interesting :)

n yeah I agree we spent much less on the rnB outings..n I wish I could've spent more time playing badminton with u guys but it wasn't to be, I've school this time arnd heh :/

Siuk eh kamu blog..I might blog l8r just to keep up with the joneses haha apakan! ;P